Pages

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

It’s Uter"us" Not Uter"i"

Sharing Ultrasound Photos on Facebook 


The thing to do on Faceboook nowadays is document every second of your pregnancy from conception (okay, maybe not conception) to birth and beyond. For young mothers, Facebook has become a digital baby scrapbook. And while I do think that the kid pictures are cute and I enjoy seeing most of them, I think some people overdo it when they start posting photos of the baby before he or she is even born.

In my opinion, ultrasound pictures should be shared with family and close friends in person. You should go over to a person’s house and hand them the photograph and share a moment of happiness. For something so personal and special and important in one’s life, it’s rather impersonal to upload the photo publicly on one of the world’s largest websites.

My brain works differently from other more maternal females. My first thought when I see an ultrasound isn’t, Aww, how cute! It’s, We’ll, now I know what the inside of your uterus looks like. And maybe that’s because it just feels so impersonal viewing someone’s personal life on your computer screen if all you are is an acquaintance (like a high school classmate or former coworker).

Maybe I’m the only one with this opinion. Maybe I’m just lamenting the fact that the atmosphere of Facebook has changed drastically since I became a user in 2005. I really enjoyed it as a place for just college students to connect with their friends and classmates. It wasn’t a place to push political agendas, fight with exes, or send millions of game requests. It was a place to write inside jokes on friends’ walls, ask classmates what you missed in class, and poke people just because it was something you could do even though it was pointless. And I like having a little pointless fun in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment